Please answer the following discussion questions based upon the attached readings. NOTE: This does NOT have to be in APA or any formal formatting style – simply answer each question with a few bullet points and note which source you used.
1. To what extent was U.S. nuclear war planning during the Cold War driven by
developments in Soviet policies and capabilities? By Soviet intentions? By American
fears about Soviet intentions?
2. How many nuclear weapons are needed for a secure deterrent?
3. Which leg of the nuclear triad is most survivable? Most usable in the event of war? What
does this imply for American nuclear force postures?
4. Is deterrence possible in wars between nuclear-armed states? If so, how reliable is it?
5. To what extent does it matter that the United States has a large, versatile nuclear arsenal?
How useable is such an arsenal against large nuclear powers? Small nuclear powers?
6. What role is public opinion likely to play in the launching of a nuclear war? What role
should it play?